Interesting article by Cameron Strang, founder and editor of Relevant Magazine, about the faith agenda of the presidential candidates. Read it here.I appreciate his response, "I want to vote because of my values and convictions, not party affiliations. To me, that’s an important part of being a thinking, values-minded Christian."
This election period has been an eye opening experience for me. I used to be a Republican. Well, as much as any "I voted that way because my family does and my church told me to" person can be. I used to vote straight party Republican up until the last Senate race in my district.
But as I grew older and started thinking for myself, a couple of questions came to mind: Can one party claim righteousness and denounce another as "Satan's party" (yes, I have heard a devout Republican call the Dems that). Would Jesus have voted straight ticket - pronouncing all on the other side as being outside of his will, and thereby saying the party on his side is doing everything righteously? I just can't get there. So, the Bible says, "for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" - but do people believe he meant to add, "and especially the Democrats because none of them are going to Heaven"?
This is the first time I have ever actively supported a Democrat and I'm finding that some people actually have the audacity to claim (directly to me) that Obama should not be voted for because he is 'not a Christian'. Interesting, says who? Your pastor? What about God as the judge of whether someone is his follower since he knows their hearts? Does absolutely everything you do and say line up exactly and at all times with what the Bible says? Really? Then you're perfect and you're up in Heaven. What's it like checking blogs from up there? (sarcasm checked, moving on....)
I think that is what rubs me the wrong way the most - just support whichever candidate you feel holds the majority of the same values as you do. Period. Cut out the finger pointing and the 'holier than thou' attitude and just vote. I mean, how does any of that point people to the love of Christ?
I have even heard of a church recently who had its members write on the floor of their new sanctuary, before the carpet was laid, the names of people they would like to see come to Christ - and I was told by a member, very gleefully, that someone wrote Obama's name. I wonder if when that person gets to Heaven Jesus will say something like, "I'm sorry you wasted so much time attempting to judge the faithfulness of others, when there were so many around you dying just to see the LOVE of Christ shown. I wish you would have focused on loving that neighbor you rarely talked to, or that family member you kept forgetting to pray for, or that coworker who tried so hard to be accepted. Instead you played judge with what little time you had on earth."
It's scary to be raw on this issue on this blog. But, I want to be my authentic self, because this is me and that's why I'm here.
Just some things I've been thinking about.
8 comments:
There's one mom blog I often read called "Mommy Life"
http://mommylife.net/
and she likes to post about a lot of political stuff as she was very involved back in the day. She's mentioned some interesting things about this years election stuff.
Thanks Cheryl! I'll check it out during a nap tomorrow!
While I agree that we don't have the right to judge the man's salvation, it is hard to overlook that he is a liberal, and as such is likely to vote FOR things like gay marriage and abortion. Note I say likely, none of us can be 100% sure what policies these candidates will put into place until they are in office. Thanks for sharing a "grownup" topic. Most moms have strong political views and its good that we flex our muscles in this area!
I have much to say about Obama and my disagreements, but I do agree that we are not to judge the sincerity of his salvation. But I will feel absolutely free to judge his character, his policies, his values, his track record, his affiliations with some less than stellar radicals, and his experience.
We are all free to form our own opinions, I can only hope that we are all as fully informed, about both candidates.
you are a brave woman to post this. I have a lot to say, but I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms....or maybe I'm unsure of my ablilty to be tackful....
Thanks Jen for respecting the fact that my blog is my opportunity to express my own personal thoughts and beliefs.
Way to go Cynthia- I have to say I agree with you %100 on this. I am often suprised by how the loudest opposer of Obama is always the one least educated about his policies.....uuurgh! Also, your link to the article sent me to a home listing in Austin (looks like you attached the wrong website). :)
Julie
OOps! I put my % sign on thw rong side of 100....hey that would be a cool book or song title "On the Wrong Side of 100"
thanks Julie! I fixed the link - the article is really really worth a read. And, that house was way too small! :)
Post a Comment