Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Have you ever

Have you ever?

1) Nursed a crying baby in the back seat of your car in a Wal-mart parking lot?
2) Motioned to end a perfectly great date with your husband early so you could go home to check on your baby?
3) Nursed a crying baby while sitting fully clothed on a toilet in a public restroom?

If you said yes, that makes two of us. Oh, the places this baby takes me. I never ever would have imagined I would do these things!! All of my "I will never" statements have officially been thrown out the window.

To explain #3 above :
Brian and Angela (Phil's brother and our sister in law) came for a visit a few weekends ago. We walked to the Arboretum to get Amy's ice cream. Phil and I are usually pretty good at remembering when Ethan ate last and when his next feeding should be, but we were not on our game and as soon as we arrived, Ethan woke up and started screaming for food. Ahhh!! Well, being the walking food supply that I am, I knew immediately what I had to do - feed my baby. My mind was racing...where???...then it hit me, a public restroom was my only option.

I frantically tried to think, is there a dressing room I could go into??? no, no, this was it....so, into the grimey restroom I went, claimed the handicapped stall, and the ordeal began. Gross gross gross listening to everyone come in and out while I am attempting to quietly nurse my 10 lb. baby. I had to hold him rather awkwardly - no boppy in site, mind you - and feed him just enough so we could walk back. I completely missed getting ice cream with everyone and emerged from my stall overly anxious for a shower. I felt like the most ghetto momma I could imagine - 'nursin' my baby on the pot'.

I'm sure that is not the worst I will do - he is only 1 month old!

8 comments:

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

But didn't you feel like a champ afterwards, allbeit a grimey kinda champ? :) I had all those scenarios happen when Grace was a baby too!!

Lynnette said...

Girl I nursed Cortlyn all over the place. I too did the restroom at TGI Fridays. It was not comfortable at all!!! I also nursed right out in the open at Olive Garden mind you I tried to cover up but my son always had a knack of lifting up the nursing cover. Naughty boy!! But it was so worth it. I loved nursing!

gwyneth said...

I think the first time I nursed in a public bathroom was the beginning of me losing my nursing modesty. I decided that after that, everyone around me could deal, but i wasn't going back to a toilet. Discovering the hooter hider was wonderful for my second though, plus she had a little lovey frog blanket with a big fluffy head that served like a impromptu nursing pillow too. Very handy.

Erin said...

Yes, yes and yes. Oh, the places you'll go...to nurse! I've done it at one of those roadside park things in the car, alone, in the dark. yeah, that was scary.
I can't wait to hear what else goes "out the window"!!
Nursing is totally worth it!

Coffman Family said...

Y'all are great! I had no idea I was not alone! Thank you thank you thank you for sharing your stories. I needed to hear them!

Jason and Sarah said...

The things you do for your baby! I had a similar story but it was in a hospital bathroom so that's a little bit cleaner. Don't you just love being their walking food supply:)

Melissa said...

Yup, I've nurse in many a handicap stall! I nursed in the back of our Honda Pilot while it was still at the dealership and not yet technically ours. But my favorite was when Gregory was in the hospital and I nursed him in front of a maintenance man! That was the point I figured to heck with modesty, baby's gotta eat!!!

Anonymous said...

ha ha! Thanks for sharing this! It keeps it "real" for us not yet to be mommys. Looking forward to sharing my own horror stories one day! :)

Don't be ashamed! You gotta do what you gotta do!