Monday, August 4, 2008

Austin Housing 101

We've officially started looking for houses. Our apt. lease is up Nov. 30 and I am anxious to move my baby out of this noisy abode. I am thankful we rented for a year, getting to know Austin neighborhoods and making friends. For the most part we've settled on a neighborhood called Wells Branch. When we went to visit friends who live there, I instantly knew that is where I wanted to live. It has a bit of a surburban feel, yet still is Austin proper and close to downtown (like 20 min. north of it).

Well, here's the deal. Austin houses were built dramatically different than the ones in Houston. The homes we are looking at were built in the early to mid eighties, like our old home, however, they have plastic sinks!! It is the weirdest thing! And, some front yards slope upwards, some downwards, some backyards are flat, some are sloped. Nothing like the expected flat yards of Houston. Gotta think about how a swing set would fit.

We're also learning that in the early 80s builders were throwing houses up quickly for people to buy during the recession. So, small rooms, some low quality finishes, but perfect location. Compromises will be necessary. And, inevitably we will be buying, yet again, a starter home. I was really hoping to buy the home we could live in the rest of our lives. I hate moving. There's still hope - and I keep watching the listings daily. keep ya posted!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Oh how FUN! We are also actively looking for a house and are excited for Evelyn to sleep soundly without really loud neighbors stomping above! =)

Keep us updated on what you find!!

Steph said...

I know you'll find a great house! And I know that no matter what, you'll make it look warm and inviting an beautiful.

Good Luck! and...Happy Birthday!