Thursday, August 7, 2008

Here's my dirty little secret: I am frugal to a fault. I mean, I go out of my way to never pay full price if I don't have to. I'm not afraid to barter for a cheaper deal, or pass something up if it is not on sale. It's not meant to be, I say.

This little habit of mine drives Phil nuts. I will bargain shop with such vigor and all he wants to do is grab and go. He jokes that he has to hold the shopping list and I push the cart, otherwise it will take us twice as long to get through the store. So true. He knows if I am left with the list, he will find me standing in an isle holding one item, while scrutinizing the price of its competition. I could save a whole .20, I plead in my defense, if he would just let me stand there a bit longer!

Recently Ethan has outgrown his newborn diapering stuff. While we like our Bum Genius diapers, because he is such a super soaker ,we have to use the infant inserts in them and they make his butt look huge! So, I was wanting to use super absorbent (hemp) prefolds and covers so he can easily and trimmly fit into his cute outfits. Of course, off to craigslist I went, found some prefolds I wanted, completely low balled the offer and LOST! I was devestated - and slightly panicked. Ah - I was going to have to pay full price!! And I did - I bought three for the price I could have gotten for five and I can't stop thinking about it. I also had to buy new covers and paid full price for those too! Seriously, I had a dream the other night about how I could have saved money if I could have just found them used....

It really sounds ridiculous now that I am typing this. But, I just can't stop. It is a total way of life for me now. Thankfully I don't buy stuff just to buy it. I only buy what we need - and save us lots of money along the way. I really do get a cheap thrill off finding steals - there, I've said it.

So, I was on craigslist again today and might have found more diapers that I want. And, just so you know, I don't have any intentions of kicking this habit any time soon.

5 comments:

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

Hey, you could always sell the diapering supplies he has outgrown to fund your "habit". I find I have to fast from craigslist to stay sane! Otherwise I find myself so obsessed with getting a good deal that I actually end up with a lower quality item, and less peace of mind about how I spent my time. I have been there my friend... there's a "sewing table" that didn't work out as a dining table to prove it. It's sitting at my sisterinlaw's now!

Coffman Family said...

A craigslist fast?! Are you crazy?! :) Selling things to fund my habit, yes I do that. But, here's the trick, I then limit myself to the amount I made on the one item to purchase another. Like - I sold some prefolds for $12 and some diaper covers so I could buy more diaper covers for the same amount I made. :)

But, I have succumbed to the rush and bought things I didn't really want...but it was too good a deal to pass up - so I thought. We'll be having a bit of a garage sale here when we get a house!

David said...

Erin, posting as David because I'm too lazy to sign him out and sign me in...

You'll have to let me know how you like those hemp PFs. I haven't found them to be more absorbent than my cotton ones.

Melissa said...

I've always admired women like you. I'm the exact opposite. I've been known to avoid a sale because I don't want to deal with long lines and rummaging through racks of clothes all askew... shirts next to jeans and sizes out of order... it's enough to give me a headache just thinking about it.

Steph said...

You're funny. That trait needs to rub off on me a little!