I no longer can run errands by myself. Let me rephrase that, I am NOT going to run errands by myself until Ethan is born. I just ran to Costco for a few things and here's what happened:
I walked up, prepared to FLASH my Costco card, when the check-in lady said,
"When are you due?"
"2 1/2 weeks"
"OH, I can tell."
Geesh. A simple, "Welcome to Costco" would have sufficed. I feel like a sideshow freak, a public spectacle. I waddle like crazy, sweat like crazy in these 100 degree temperatures, and of course look tired any time I have to be on my feet. Give a girl a break! Where are people's manners? I just can't get over the audacity of total strangers. I've been told it doesn't end and can and will worsen as he gets older. Ethan might need to get use to the phrase, "Son, cover your ears for a sec while mama has a chat with this nice lady"....
I have read somewhere a list of comebacks that might hush a few strangers up. Here are my favorites:
When Ethan is crying/throwing a fit and a stranger says, "someone needs a nap", I reply, "yes I do, and I'm looking forward to it."
Or to the same situation if they say, "someone is hungry", I reply, "really you can tell? I mean, I just ate but I could go for some dessert." I would love to have the guts to try some of these total deflection responses. I wonder how they would further respond!
4 comments:
I don't think people are being rude, but rather interested and feeling empathy for you - especially if they have children themselves. Maybe it's a chance to engage and share some Jesus love instead!
Erin's comment is on the right track, mine is along these lines... picture this on a t-shirt
"don't look at me, don't talk to me, I'm pregnant and I'll punch you in the face"
Hang in there girl! It's almost done. I know the last couple of weeks can be so long waiting and waiting.
Oh girlie, I'm feelin' for ya!
Love Christina's shirt idea!
I've always given people the evil eye without even realizing it (they tell me later), so it makes me wonder just how bad the looks are when I'm actually trying to convey my irritation.
Let the count down begin! :)
Post a Comment