My favorite modern day author is hands down Madeleine Wickham. She also goes by Sophia Kinsella. She is a British writer who has the ability to captivate me page by page. No easy feat, since I usually consider fiction unfulfilling. Every book I have read of hers, I just can't put down. I finished the
Shopaholic series, saddened that it had to come to an end. I quickly devoured
Remember Me? in one weekend a few months ago. Her books are so light hearted, witty, and full of great character development. You just can't help completely relating to her heroine on some level. Plus, I love the British, and anything that delves more into British culture and especially their humor is worth a go.
She describes her books best, "All my books involve some kind of wish-fulfilment; some kind of escapism--whether it's shopping, or a whirlwind romance, or stepping off the career treadmill--and
Remember Me? is maybe the ultimate form of wish-fulfilment. What if you didn't recognize your life... because it had become so perfect?"

So, here is my recommendation for great poolside books. I have requested
The Gatecrasher and
Cocktails for Three from our library - some reading before Ethan is born, or to keep me up during the late night feedings if he arrives before the books do!
4 comments:
I love the shopaholic series!! I got hooked on them on ouur trip to Italy. I haven't read any of her newer stuff so I will have to check those out. Happy reading!
love her books too... I didn't know about two of those... think I'll be visiting Amazon.com later today. ;) Thanks!
I love Sophie Kinsella!! Another good brit author is Catherine Alliot she is hard to find in usa but she is good. I also like Jane Green she does some British stuff!!
I'll have to check those others out Lynnette - thanks!
So fun to know others have enjoyed the Shopaholic goodness!
Post a Comment