Friday, July 17, 2009

The Hoffmans

No, that is not a typo. It is quite an interesting story!

It all started with my friend Marti who is a full-time mom and part time Pediatric Occupational Therapist. I like hanging out with her because she is so funny, we have a great time chatting about loads of topics, and her son is a few weeks younger than Ethan (and her daughter is 3 and is super cute.) Anyway, she can't help but be herself and for a few months now has been 'working with' Ethan when we go over for playdates. She's so kind asking me if it bothers me. She first mentioned to me that his hips were tight. Then, when he started army crawling she noticed he wasn't using his hips like she'd like to see. I completely trust all fields of medicine. I think health is a complimentary approach, so I started doing some of the exercises she suggested.

Fast forward 2 months. Ethan is still army crawling and he is really struggling to pull up. Like it just doesn't flow like other kids. I decided to take him to a chiropractor to get checked out. I know Dr. Sears is a big fan, and I am too. I've been going to one since middle school when I started running track. I saw one who did the Webster Technique throughout my pregnancy. I'm digressing...

The Hoffmans appeared on my radar because 1) they are on my insurance 2) they are super close and 3) the wife does Pediatric chiropractic and the husband sees adults. Score, I can get two appts done at the same time. Moms, you feel my excitement.

I arrive, give them my license for the registration and guess what! The Hoffmans live a few doors down from me on the same street! No joke. How small world is that. Not to mention they have the last name that every one wants to give me when I'm signing up for things. Coffman with a C not an H.

They are the nicest people ever and she is amazing with Ethan. They use the activator method, which I prefer, and Ethan plays the whole time and barely notices anything is going on. The coolest part is this, she finds that his hips are out of place (I'm sure there is a technical term) and adjusts him as well as his neck (which explains the recurrent ear infections). When she touches his neck he does this shrugging move, which I always thought was cute. Like he was ticklish there. Myra explained nicely that that isn't cute, it's a sign it is tender and he's in pain. Oh. Same with his hips when she touches those. I've seen him do that before.

We've seen Dr. Myra 3x in the last month and guess what! I can hardly believe it. Ethan is now crawling on his knees! Like he crawls more on his knees now than his belly. He'll still revert back to the army crawl because that is what he familiar with but he is no longer struggling to get to standing (in fact he is cruising like crazy) and he is no longer in pain. Can I also share that he is no longer constipated? I thought it was perfectly normal for him to become red faced every time. Books say it happens when they eat solids. Ok, might be tmi. Suffice it to say, poor little guy.

In the midst of this I took him for his 1 year appt and didn't tell the pediatrician about any of this. He mentioned during the exam he thinks Ethan's hips are tight. I'm fascinated this is so evident to specialist. He requests I get an xray of E's hips to make sure there is no hip displacia. The xrays came back completely normal, but the pediatrican recommends we work with an occupational therapist to loosen his hip flexors. We've got an appt. scheduled for an evaluation with the Early Childhood Intervention, a completely free program of therapist provided by the state. Thank you fellow tax payers!

I hope you can hear the elation in my voice. I am so happy God has directed our steps so clearly to help Ethan. Our hearts were heavy at first when we realized he was in pain and compensated by army crawling. That isn't to say that is the reason every baby army crawls, just why our little guy did. I am fascinated by the mind of God that he empowers so many people to have just a glimpse of his wisdom and orchestrates them to play together to take care of our little boy.

Praising Him!

1 comment:

cheryl said...

Wow! So neat to see how God has brought you to where you are, and SO thankful that sweet E is getting better already! Praise God! Thanks for sharing this neat series of events.