Well, you're in luck, I can tell you. Yesterday I was waiting at a bus stop to take the bus to downtown to meet up with Phil after work to meet up with my in-laws. Austin's public transit is so efficient, safe, and cheap and really a fun way to see the city. As I was waiting for my bus to arrive, the two homeless men who frequent one of the corners of the Arboretum came to the stop. Here are tidbits of their conversation:"I found my PCP the other day, yeah, and my heroine, I don't know why I put it there (sarcastically) oops, did I say that out loud?" he he he he
"Yeah, he really likes her. I told him, she's got a job and she's pretty. He should hold on to her, those kind of women are hard to find."
"I think he's gonna return those Dominos so he can get some money for some -insert sniffing sound here-"
"Yeah, tonight I might go over to the TGI Fridays at Town Lake, that's a good spot on Friday nights"
Hmmmm.....I worked with the homeless through high school and worked at a thrift store through my senior year of college, so I am very aware and at ease around the homeless and those in poverty. However, I have never given them cash on the side of the road. Because I have partnered with the Star of Hope in the past, I completely support their faith based mission and their means of getting the homeless help and know that the most effective witness of Christ would be to support missions that glorify Him and not encourage continued deprivation.
I know the Star of Hope frequently sends out a van to pick up homeless people who will commit to their drug-free, alcohol-free program and in return get free lodging and food, and all the homeless person has to do is a few daily chores. There is even a free day care on their premises for when the parents get work. It is an extraordinary program. I am sure Austin has a similar mission here, though I haven't researched it yet. I feel absolutely for the homeless, but knowing that most (in Houston) continue to be in that situation because they refuse to become drug and alcohol free.
Being privy to this recent conversation helped confirm that for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment