As we were trying to get pregnant, a good friend of mine brought to my attention the topic of midwifery. I had heard of it before, but quite frankly thought it was barbaric. Wikipedia offers a great definition of it here. Since it was God's will that it take a year and a half for us to get pregnant, I had a lot of time to read, read, read up on the subject. And, what I have learned not only showed me that it is a viable option, but also made me feel empowered about my birthing experience.
I was surprised to learn that midwives are the lead health care professional attending the majority of births in the United Kingdom, with Obstetricians only being used for high risk cases. I recently finished reading Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way and am actually excited about birth and no longer fearful of it. Knowledge is power!
This is a total retreat from who I used to be. Let me explain. Before Phil, I was content to never have children. I viewed them as a burden and an interruption to my life. Then I fell in love and got married, and then attempted to break it to Phil that I was not interested in having children, to which he so sweetly replied, "Cynthia, you're having my baby, so deal with it." Of course God changed my heart to be like His, and a few short months after that conversation we were trying to have a baby. Now that I am pregnant I don't know what I was thinking before!
So, for all of you friends out there who are trying to get pregnant, I encourage you to educate yourself about midwifery or at the very least the Bradley Method - which is the birthing method used by midwifes, commonly called "Husband Coached Birth". Phil at times is more calm than me about the birth, and he is even more astounded by how God created my body to handle birth and his role in supporting me in it.
Now I am birthing at a free standing birthing center, not associated with a hospital. In Houston there is not only the center at St. Luke's, but also a phenomenal one in the Woodlands.
The flip side is, birthing is so incredibly personal. I firmly believe, do whatever makes you feel comfortable, safe, and secure and allows you to have the most joyous birthing experience you can.
And, if your interested, this is just one of the birthing rooms I may deliver in. It is my top choice - so I hope no other mommy goes into labor when I do!! And, you'll notice the little bassinet in the photo. One of the many things that drew me into midwifery is sweet Jack will never leave my side!
5 comments:
i have many questions about these methods, and with baby talk all around me (my sis!) these questions have come up more and more. thanks for this insite, i will have to research and learn myself!
I love that you're using a mid-wife! I like (as you shared w/ me this weekend) that they are very concerned w/ your diet & you as a whole person (not just a vessel for a parasite). Can't wait to hear more about this!
Yeah! I am so excited that you and Phil looked into using midwives! You won't regret it! I can't imagine giving birth any other way! For the exact reason you mentioned...it's incredibly personal and the midwives only help to make it as comfortable as possible. I love that their birthing approach is unique to your pregnancy and is always centered on what is best for mommy and baby! Not to mention the incredible support, coaching and encouragement they give you! Yeah! We'll be praying for you guys! Btw-- I LOVE THE ROOM!!!
ps--I am actually inquiring and researching water births at St. Lukes this time around. It may help alleviate the severe tailbone pain I'm currently having and have experienced during previous labors.
I am not posting this to disagree with you in anyway...I just wanted everyone to hear our story. Our experience at a hospital was very personal. All of our nurses were amazing and treated us like family. Annelise was at our side the whole time and only went to the nursery when Monique really needed to rest. All of those things are just to say that hospital births are not a horrible experience but I totally understand someone wanting a different experience. My main reason for posting is that I would not have a family if we had not been minutes from a fully staffed operating room. My amazing wife Monique and my beautiful daughter Annelise would both have died had it not been for the amazing response of the nurses and doctors who recognized that there was a very very serious problem. We had no risk factors of any kind and the entire pregnancy was normal...but the delivery was anything but routine. I don't say these things to scare anyone. I just wanted to share as I feel like only one side is really vocal on this issue. I hope you experience wherever you are is complication free and Monique and I will be praying for you on that day...
Chris - thanks for posting yours and Monique's experience too! I've always wanted my blog to be authentic conversation!
Post a Comment