Wednesday, January 2, 2008

In a funk plus updates

Have you ever been in a funk? Well, that is what I am in day to day now. I think it is part boredom, part tiredness, and part not knowing what exactly I am meant to be doing right now. I have been accepted to start substitute teaching in Austin ISD - and just have to attend the orientation next Thursday before the ball gets rolling. At least then I will have something to do and bring more money into our house fund. I'm nervous a bit, I've only ever subbed at the schools I taught at - you know what I mean fellow former teachers, when another teacher is out you all take turns covering the class. A new school each time is a bit nerve racking, but also I just love teaching so much that it might be pretty rewarding. No grading, no parent conferences, no staying after school -just helping kids learn new things.

The other thing is - it's too soon to start making baby stuff - and don't even know what we are having yet. I have rearranged our tiny 2nd room numerous times in my head, to no avail. The layout is set. I am trying to get over the fact that this is not at all how I envisioned bringing our first baby into the world. I want the pretty decorated nursery with painted walls and colorful decorations. I just can't bring myself to get all that excited about setting up a crib here. I say all that, but on the other hand I am really loving Austin. Phil and I are both surprised at how much more confident we are becoming in ourselves and our abilities and more importantly resolved in our beliefs. With Austin being "weird" it is easier, in my opinion, to be a 'weirdo' myself and not be ashamed to pray before we eat out, talk about God things in public, and just live it out. It is quite exhilarating because we know we are sticking out.

I have signed up for a research project of monitoring the effects of exercise on pregnancy. I go on Friday for my first physical (a two mile walk) and then will randomly draw to see if I am in the test group and therefore get to attend the 3x a week pregnancy exercise class or if I am in the control group and will be on my own again to stay in shape. I am hoping to get in the class and meet some other mommies and have motivation to work out. Phil and I have gone to the gym a few times, but forced attendance at a class would do me wonders.

After a few weeks of church searching, we have decided to attend Austin Stone for an entire month before making a decision. Unfortunately I wasn't feeling well Sunday morning, so we attended the 11:15 service, which I am sure is noted somewhere as being the College Hour. We will make it a point to attend the 9:30 service from here on so that maybe we can engage with more married couples. I recognize that not being in a church body has left me a bit empty. I now look forward to Sundays more than I have in a long time.

I apologize for the downer post. It just kind of explains what I've been up to and why I haven't blogged lately. I know this will all pass soon. I mean, it has to - a baby is on its way! (Oh by the way - we heard the heartbeat last Friday. That was incredible!! Now I truly feel pregnant!)

4 comments:

Monty King said...

Nothing wrong with being honest and saying how it is! How exciting that you got to hear the baby's heart beat!!! That's awesome!

Much love to you both!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I didn't realize I was signed in as Monty (Full Monty) lol...

:)

Morgan said...

hey!
rob's brother and one of our friends attend austin stone. they really like it. we are going to be in austin the weekend of the 19th, and i am pretty sure we will be going there. maybe we'll see ya? i'll let you know.
m

Coffman Family said...

Morgan - that would be fun! We will definitely be at the 9:30 service. I'd love to have lunch or at least hug you in the halls! (Wow that sounds like high school!)