I have been struck lately, in light of all the economic mess, how little daily choices impact my life. Specifically, my multiple runs each week to Walmart and Target. I'm tempted by marketing displays (Target is the best) and I get a little surge of "I need" every time I enter. I always come home with one or two things that were total 'want' purchases. Junk really. In Chapter 4 the author brings to light that our little choices impact our future dreams. Hm. I started thinking about how $15-$20/week on frivolous stuff that ends up in my cart adds up. How can I use that money more fruitfully and lasting, I wonder.
The author talks about keeping in the forefront of our minds the picture we have in our head of what a God centered home can be. Each choice we make, measure it up to what we ultimately yearn for. We always have the ability to buy more possessions, make more money, create a prettier environment, but know when to say enough is enough. That has deeply resonated with me. I think I'm there, in a way. I refuse to buy any more stuff for our home. I've chosen to not flick through home magazines that entice. I just don't need it. I keep thinking about saving more for Ethan's college or our retirement, and giving more away.
She goes on in Chapter 5 to say, "we will come closer to God's ideal for our homes when we model them after what we know of heaven." A place of beauty, a delight to the senses, feels good to the touch, place of peace, safety, belonging. A gathering place, emotionally safe. Worship and praise are primary activites, a place where God is present and he rules. I never had thought of heaven as my model. It brings me peace to know God is teaching me how to create my home. I have felt so alone in figuring this out until now, no distinctive characteristics to ascribe to. I wake now with a purpose for the day in mind. Knowing I want to shape the day for Ethan to see a reflection of Heaven and God in our home.
Chapter 6 reminded me, and timely since I was starting to feel daunted by the task at hand, that I need help and God hasn't left me to do this on my own. The Holy Spirit will teach me how to care for my home. It's a whole new way for me to look at the Bible in this stage of life, not merely as a book of powerful stories, but as a guidebook to help me. I know I've studied it like this before, but this time it's different. She stresses the need for mentors and sisters and how to choose which people will fulfill those roles in your life and yours in theirs. I'm currently praying for clarity in this. Wonder who God has in mind. :)
3 comments:
I have missed earlier posts...what is the name of this book you are reading?
Finding Your Purpose as a Mom: How to Build Your House on Holy Ground by Donna Otto. (Morgan V lent it to me)
Great stuff Cynthia... It is so difficult to not get those things! Our mall walk will be difficult for me! =)
Post a Comment