Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Overflowing

Ethan had his 2 mo. appointment last Friday. My chunky monkey weighed in at 15 lbs. 5 oz. and 25". Yes, he was off the charts! He was actually off the charts the Thursday before that when I took him in thinking he had major acid reflux. We were going through 4 burp cloths a feeding. He had all the symptoms of acid reflux, including screaming before, during, and after his late night feedings. For weeks, I was a wreck, Phil was exhausted, and poor Ethan was hurting.

The Doctor, after a quick glance at Ethan, assured me that he did not in fact have acid reflux. How could he tell so fast? Clearly Ethan was keeping enough food down. The culprit: I was overfeeding him! Yes, you can actually do that! Who knew?! He was spewing out all the excess, causing him all kinds of discomfort. I was absolutely devastated, crying, and feeling like the worst, most inept mother ever. I mean, who overfeeds their 8 week old? The Doctor pried a bit further and asked how often I was feeding him, every 2 hours, if not sooner, I said.

Turns out I got all confused around the 6 week mark when some parenting books (first mistake) talked about the 45 min. intruder and said at this point my baby was probably going through a growth spurt and hungry so feed him if he wakes up early. BIG MISTAKE. He really just needed to be rocked back to sleep. That was the point I stopped trusting my instincts and started unquestioningly following the books. Bad Babywise, bad.

The Doctor gently suggested that we get on a bit of a schedule, as much as a 2 mo. old can be, and since that Thursday - Ethan is doing much much much better. He spits up like 25% of what he was, is happy to eat every 3 hours, the night fussiness is completely eliminated, my day is more predictable and productive, and I am getting back the energy I need. Ethan is also much happier throughout the day.

For days I felt like such a failure, though Phil reassured me that there was no way to know. We were just following the books - which are tucked neatly on the shelf, where they belong. We are knowledgeable about the characteristics of a 2 mo. old, but are now focusing on Ethan's uniqueness. Sometimes he is happily awake longer than the 2 hours the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Baby says is the limit. Fine. He signals he is ready to fall asleep, goes down with little more than just holding these days, and sleeps for hours. Once I realized that the books were generalizations and didn't necessarily define Ethan, we have had much more happiness and peace in our home.

I'm thankful for books and the guidance they bring, but I've learned to step back and see Ethan for the unique person that he is: not easily defined by any one book.

What about any of my mommy friends? Would you mind lifting my spirits by sharing your own story about a big mistake you made in parenting? Can you top my attempt to single handedly contribute to childhood obesity?

5 comments:

casey said...

I am not a parent yet, but it is good (for me) to hear that the books aren't something to live by, all the way. I can totally see me and Jason doing that. I am glad Ethan and you guys are happier with the new schedule!

Karen said...

Oh...do I have stories to share! Now I can't comment on the "big baby" syndrome. =) Mine is just a little squirt (which too causes stress the "I am a bad mommy who can't feed her baby enought milk" thinking. Evelyn just had her 6 month appointment and only weighs 14 lb, 11 oz and is 25 in long. That is small considering she was born at almost 9 lbs! Anyway, when she was about 1 month old I was TOTALLY stressed becuase she was wanting to eat ALL the time and NEVER wanting to take naps. Unfortunately, I had read a bunch of books too. The problem was that I read books on both ends of the parenting spectrum...both BabyWise-type-of-books AND Attachent Parenting-types-of-books. Not good becuase whatever you do, one of the two philosophies says you are doing it wrong! So following the advice of my sweet mom and wise husband, I put the books away and haven't opened them since. I just follow Evelyn's lead and life is MUCH less stressful around here!! She is now completely scheduled, sleeps through the night, and is happy when she is awake.

You are doing a great job!!

(sorry for the extremely long comment!!) =)

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

Yea, my doc always busted me for underfeeding, and I too felt like the worst mom ever! Guilt is engrained in mommy culture, so remember to keep your chin up and replace that bad internal dialogue with the truth of God's word. The books are only mildly helpful and cannot replace the natural god-given instinct you have as a mom. That doesn't mean you won't have rough days where you want to chuck that natural instinct and go have a coke, but for the most part you will eventually figure little E out b/c you have the wonderful privilege of spending your days with him!

Lynnette said...

I too read the books I think it is called Raising Children God's Way and it's apparently like babywise only more on crack!! Well one afternoon when Cortie was very tiny I had just feed him the hour before and he was screaming and I was on the phone with my mom just crying hysterically and I told her the book said not to feed on demand but she heard him screaming and said you know your baby now feed him. And I did and I put that book away and things worked out much better for me anyways!! Hang in there you are doing a great job!!!

Melissa said...

Yes, been there!!! I worry about Gregory being so thin, even though his doctor isn't. At his 9 month, he weighed in at 15lb. 15oz. I compare him to other younger and bigger babies and I KNOW I shouldn't do that and I have to remind myself that he is 7 months adjusted age. I tore through books about babies in general, searched for answers on preemies, worked myself into tears, fears, and stress about everything. Felt horrible that I couldn't get him on a good schedule until he was 6 months old and I too have done better once the books found a home on our shelves. I still do some research, but I'm not even close to how I used to be. BTW... Gregory once gained 2 pounds in two weeks and that's when I finally got him to breastfeed. I felt like an idiot when the doctor (our pedi's sub) told me that Gregory was using me as a pacifier... nice. :)