Thank you to my independent minded friend Erin Wallace for referring me to a much sought after organic food co-op. We have been buying organic food for a while now in the grocery stores, and tried the Needville Farmers Market on Thursday nights, but both efforts felt like we were coming up short of our goal. We have been trying to eat as "straight from the source" as possible this last year and this co-op now makes it even easier. Today was my first pick up and I am thrilled with the amount of fruits and veggies I got for the price - a mere $20. (I'd take a picture and show you - but Phil is in Chicago still with our camera.) Here is what I got this week, 2 bunches of spinach, a head of romaine lettuce, stalk of celery, bunch of beets (fun trying to figure out a) if I even like fresh beets and b) how to cook them!), 3 handfuls of potatoes, 3 huge lemons, 2 purple onions, 2 bananas, and a gorgeous pineapple. All locally grown!
If you live in the Sugar Land area - check it out! http://www.therawtable.com/thirdday.htm
Correction! Thank you to David Wallace who caught my error - all the food in the co-op is NOT locally grown. I noticed that just yesterday (10/8) when I went to cut up my pineapple and had to remove the tag.
5 comments:
Just had my first sampling today - an organic banana. Very tasty!
And as a point of clarification, the food is all organic, not necessarily local, as evidenced by the Central America Produce Association pineapple.
And a very tasty "Central America Produce Association pineapple" it is.
Cynthia, I wanted to tell you about Austin's Farmer's Market. I wanted to go when we were at Fort Hood, but never made it down. Check it out... http://www.austinfarmersmarket.org/
It looks like there is some organic available, but it's all local produce, meat, cheeses, honey, etc.
Here's another one, it actually looks like more fun since they host festivals! :)
http://www.sunsetvalleyfarmersmarket.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=29
Post a Comment