Friday, September 28, 2007

Quick Highlights from the rest of the tour

We took the scenic train from Munich to Interlaken, Switzerland, and this was our view the entire time from the train. The Swiss countryside is some of the most beautiful land I have ever seen. I kept thinking how all of this is but a shadow of Heaven. Can't wait to go there.

We timed leaving Venice so we could catch the vaporetto (local transport) at sunset. What amounts to their version of the metro, turned out for us to be a very romantic hour long ride down the Grand Canal. Phil scored us two seats in the open air back portion of the boat. Phil is such a great photographer.These men hang outside of the Colosseum and charge HUGE fees to have tourists take their picture with them. They look so silly. And, look at those calves! And I thought I had small calves! We know what we are going to be for Halloween....Shocked? Yeah, so was I. Everywhere you look in Florence and Rome, vendors felt compelled to hit your eyes with this. If you can't tell, it is Michaelangelo's David's most "famous" parts on an apron. Oh, not to be outdone, they have these too:Classy.After Rome we took a vacation from our vacation and went to the Cinque Terra. This is the town we stayed in, Manarola, lit up at night. (I told you Phil is a gifted photographer!) We hiked for five hours one day, and spent the other two days sunning on the beach in Monteroso. This is the Italian Riviera, but only the best of it. No high prices, huge crowds, or loud tourists. Locals abound.
Paris. This is what I am thinking, "This is it. I am standing looking at the Eiffel Tower. Jesus I can't believe you love me this much to bring me here."Back in Amsterdam - well, Harlem to be exact. This is Corrie Ten Boom's house. It gave us chills to be in the house raided by Nazis and where so much of God's love was shown during such an evil time. Her story encouraged us to not come back the same. We are striving to be more authentic in our faith than ever before.

We loved every part of our trip and will return one day with our children. We plan on making as many trips as we can in our lifetime. Next on our list, in no particular order: English countryside, tour of Eastern Europe, Ireland, Australia, and everywhere in the US.

4 comments:

Steph said...

First of all, I look like the Hulk here at my computer I am so green with envy! And second, the David paraphernalia...hilarious! Thanks for sharing those artistic treasures!

Melissa said...

Those night time pics are gorgeous! How romantic. It must've been like a second honeymoon.

Jen said...

Michaelangelo is by far my favorite artist ever, but that is just taking it too far!

casey said...

hehe... my friend bought an apron like that when we were in Europe. He bought it for his dad. :) I had the same thought you did when I was in Paris. --Isn't it great that our God loves us so much, and he gives us gifts-- like traveling!!!