Last night I finished a very inspiring book. We subscribe to the the Sunday edition of the Austin American Statesmen, and buried somewhere within, I saw a recommendation for this book. I borrowed it from the library and dove in.I couldn't put it down. Every nap time and before bed I was reaching for it. It is a beautiful and humbling tale of a town, Clarkston, Georgia and its new found situation as a refugee haven. It follows the story of a coach who puts together a soccer team of refugees, admist the poverty, prejudices and dangers they face. We're given glimpses of the boy's stories and their family's plights that brought them from war torn areas to this suburb of Atlanta. I had absolutely no idea life existed like this. I was torn, laid bare with my materialism, thankful for the very comfortable life I live. Overwhelmed with compassion.
I finished the book last night wondering, what am I to do now? How can I help? Refugees come to America, scared, confused, optimistic, traumatized, poor. I just can't let the story end on the page. God has stirred something in my soul.
I found there is an organization here in Austin, Caritas, that works with refugees. One of their needs is to get apartments ready for newly arriving refugees. The committment is 2-5 hours a week, exactly what I can give right now. I'm making the phone call tomorrow to see if I can help out on Saturdays. I'll keep you posted and in the meantime, read the book!
2 comments:
Good for you! I am inspired by your action.
Sign up to give the Fugees $10 a month. If 4,000 people in the US will do this, they can support their soccer program for another year.
Post a Comment