Monday, April 21, 2008

so true

I'm reading The Happiest Baby on the Block book and really liking it. I just read one of my favorite quotes for this season of my life:

"America's favorite pastime is not baseball, it is giving unasked for advice to new moms."

so true, so true

Here are the funniest things I have been told so far (as if I didn't know this already):

1) babies need pajamas to sleep in and wear socks on their feet to keep them warm
2) babies wear onesies
3) babies wear jackets in the winter so they keep warm
4) babies go through a lot of diapers
5) I will be tired after having a baby
6) babies don't sleep on a schedule at first
7) giving birth is painful

I've really had to hold my sarcastic tongue. But, I can't promise the come backs rolling around in my head won't come out at some point. A new mommy can only take so much! Next, I wonder if someone will tell me about the birds and the bees...I always wondered how that worked! Anyone else have a similar experience when you were expecting? How did you handle the obnoxious advice and um, "words of wisdom"?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cynthia,
Let me tell you about the birds and the bees. So, here we go...

Just kidding!

I love how honest you are! :)

monique said...

I love this post, Cynthia! And why woman feel compelled to share (in great traumatizing detail)their birthing experience is beyond me. As if we aren't freaking out enough.

Unknown said...

Hey Cynthia!
I found your blog through another link.. Congrats to you & Phil!!
and let me tell you..the advice never goes away... I still get it and our youngest is 18mths! Hugs&blessings,
~Dawn R.

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

Items #1-3 do not apply in Texas...babies hate to be hot. What's worse than the unwanted advice, are the comments from random strangers after baby is born "my, he sure is small" (note, I have all girls) "somebody's hungry" in response to crying baby in grocery store. The list goes on and on... as if any petrified new mom would take an unfed baby into a grocery store. Just grin and bear it and secretly imagine beating these people with a stick! :)

Jen said...

Cynthia,
All of this advice is most helpful and right out of page 6 of "Parenting for Dummies". The most helpful piece of guidance, however, has been saved for this moment....babies cry sometimes.
hope that helps you on your journey into parenthood.

Melissa said...

I haven't been out much with Gregory, so I haven't been getting a lot of that from strangers... but my mom... ay! She's gotten better, but there at the beginning she was making my head spin. I started telling her to limit her "you need to" comments. lol