Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Roast and Rain

Whenever it rains, like it has been yesterday and today, I love the smell of dinner filling the house throughout the day. It makes me feel warm and cozy during our long play day indoors.

Today I am making my most favorite cool weather meal - pot roast in the crock pot. Because I love this recipe so much, I'd thought I'd share -

Roast - whatever size you want
1 pkg. beef stew seasoning mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup
blend of veggies - I like sweet potato, white potato, carrots, and yellow onion

Salt and pepper and lightly flour the roast (thawed or frozen). Lightly brown it in a skillet with a little olive oil. Add to the crockpot. Add all the veggies, diced to about the same large chunky size, add the seasoning and mix, top with the soup and about 1/2 can of water, or broth. Mix with the veggies. Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6. As the day goes on, I'll check and add more liquid as needed, even adding some milk to make the gravy creamier. Mmmm. We'll enjoy our dinner tonight with a glass of red wine (I recommend the Yellow Tail Shiraz ;)

Hope you too are enjoying this cool, rainy fall like weather!

3 comments:

The Wilcoxson's said...

If you like that one you might like the one that I make.

Pot roast
cream of mushroom soup
onions
one apple
cranberry juice
cumin
chili powder
garlic powder
salt
pepper

Take the pot roast and rub the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper on the roast. The make a pan really hot and sear the meat on all sides. In the crock pot put one can of cream of mushroom soup in and then fill the can with a cranberry juice, i like the cranberry raspberry. Mix all of that together and then add some beef broth. Slice the onion and put that in the crock pot. Then put the roast in and make sure that the liquid covers the pot roast and let it cook all day. Cut the apple in half and add that to the crock pot.

Coffman Family said...

Thanks Jennifer! It sounds like too sweet of a roast for my taste, though! :)

Steph said...

This sounds delish, Cynthia...and I don't even eat beef! But I may just have to give this one try.

I know what you mean about the cool weather/warm meal! I was regretting not having soup on the meal plan this week.