I've been vividly reminded lately of the truth that God's mercies are new every morning. We've had a lot of hard days around here, with Ethan sleeping only 45 min. a day some days. He ends the day with bouts of crying and we're both staring out the window waiting for daddy to get home to offer relief to us both.
But, in spite of all that, I can't wait to start my day with him. By 8pm Phil and I are turning to each other and saying how much we miss the little one. We don't set a morning alarm at our house. We haven't needed to since he was born. The latest we are allowed to sleep in is 6:30, which works out perfectly. Phil and I both are anxious to go get that one out of bed and shower him in kisses. I completely forget the emotional day we might have had before. The many "get downs" I had to speak. The consoling because, no, you may not climb into the fridge and pull the eggs down on yourself.
I think about God and how no matter how whiny I am the day before, or sinful, or shameful, or disrespectful and even if I might have forgotten to confess those little sins I don't even realize are a part of me, he shows up and is ready to start the day anew with me. He looks forward to me waking up. It's never, yeah, here comes Cynthia again to wreck my plans.
That kind of graciousness is something I am striving to show to Ethan. I know he can't help the hard times he gives me. It's all so new to him and he doesn't understand. Our days hinge on my attitude. And, if I'm in the right place and focused on truth, we'll hopefully have another day like today, despite E not napping after 11am: sitting on the floor sharing a sugar cookie, laughing so hard we both start to cry, and going on an evening walk and noticing all the dogs and birds we see. It was a wonderful day.
I hope it ends even better with the French Onion soup I am making for dinner (courtesy of Rachel Ray).
2 comments:
I love hearing how God is working in your life. Ethan is a lucky boy to have a Mommy like you.
Oh yeah and the French Onion soup was tasty tasty!
Awesome post. Keep speaking the truth.
Ethan will soon grow into his new nap routine and you'll be enjoying the freedom of being able to be out and about for a big chunk of the day!
Post a Comment