Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sophia on Saturdays

Saturday I got my haircut at a salon nearby. A friend recommended her hairdresser to me and I was still on the hunt to find one that was 1. nearby 2. good 3. reasonably priced and 4. open on Saturdays. I found her! Her name is Kim at VP Salon, located at the front of my neighborhood. The problem: she thinks my name is Sophia. Want to know more? Read on.

I made my appt. earlier in the week and noticed right away as I was hanging up the sweet Asian receptionist said, "see you soon Sophia." I brushed it off thinking I misheard her. Then I show up Saturday and the receptionist calls me it and so does Kim. Hm. Well, I could see how Cynthia sounds like Sophia, I guess. I was fully planning on saying something, really I was. I was getting my hair shampooed and figuring out the way to put it gently when I was whisked to the chair and the moment of opportunity passed. I had let it go on too long. Kim and her colleagues started talking to me and just kept calling me Sophia. I just didn't have the heart to embarass them at this point. The entire time I blushed every time they said my 'name'.

I thought surely when I hand them my credit card at the end, they'll see. Well, they did see, but I guess I had responded positively enough that maybe they think Cynthia is pronounced Sophia? Bad bad me. It's kind of funny to think that I'll be Sophia on Saturdays. Although I'm now wondering if that borders on fraud.

5 comments:

cheryl said...

Oh man! That's pretty funny. ;o)

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

In the land of small children, a mom needs to do WHATEVER it takes to get a good haircut.

Marti said...

That is too funny. Similar thing happened to me on a plane once with Suzy. Granted, she had no hair until she was 18 months and everyone thought she was a boy. I was so used to it, I just brushed it off and seldom corrected people. So, I'm on the plane and the flight attendant smiled at my adorable little boy as I got on the plane. No big deal, not worth the correction. It's a short flight and she doesn't know us. Then, she is going on and on and on and... about what a cute little boy I had. Like an hour of her bringing people back to see this adorable little boy. As I'm getting off the plane, the other attendant asks me, "So, what's his name?" I just smiled and said, "Suzy." It was a bit awkward, but... whatever! :) Glad to know someone else has been there, too. I totally know the whole, should I say something? Nah, well, maybe, then too late!

B-ri said...

Kim cuts my hair too and I LOVE her! I'll tell her Sophia says hi the next time I go in. (BTW, if I am the one who recommended her to you I will laugh and remind you that I really need a nap!)

monique said...

Oh how funny! I think I'd like a fake name for the salon too.