Monday, May 12, 2008

Where I've been...

Phil and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary by going to Fredericksburg and staying in a wonderful bed and breakfast. We enjoyed playing with Phil's new Nikon camera (see his flickr photos), perusing the shops, and EATING! It was a much needed vacation...little did we know what was in store when we returned.

My grandfather the following week was rushed to the hospital via ambulance twice. The first time was due to him passing out, again, due to low blood count. This is like his eighth time to have this happen. He recovered in the hospital, was home one day, and then had a heart attack - when the medics arrived he was flat lined and they were able to do CPR to revive him. He now has a pacemaker and a defibrillator attached. He is 90. I have mixed feelings about all of this, knowing that at some point our bodies have run their course. We aren't meant to live on this earth forever. I appreciate the hospitals efforts, but it is also hard to see such a strong life now lived in so much pain and discomfort - because medical science has made it possible for us to live longer and longer. It's just so hard to know when to say enough is enough - it's time for him to rest.

Knowing my days are numbered, I traveled to Humble last week to spend time with he and my grandma. This was probably the last time I would get to spend with him before Ethan arrives. So, the stress of all of that led to....

Friday I felt my first ever Braxton Hicks contractions...no wait...they turned out to be real mild contractions. Little Ethan has dropped - 3 weeks too soon - and I was severely dehydrated - all of which came to light during our emergency midnight trip to the midwives Friday night. We left at 2am, me pumped full of 2 bags of IV fluid. I am now officially on bed rest until my appt. on Thursday. I'm tired, but praising God I am able to rest all day.

Through everything, I am so grateful. Grateful for Phil and his care for me. Grateful that I was able to travel and spend time with my grandparents. Grateful for the health of Ethan so far and the relative easiness of my pregnancy up until this point. I am grateful most of all for the undeniable peace that is over me.

7 comments:

Erin said...

Wow! I'm glad everything is "stabilized" for now. Tell that Ethan he is just going to HAVE to wait! ...at least until after your shower!

Coffman Family said...

That was the first thing I said to him!!!

Anonymous said...

Quite the eventful anniversary! Glad you have peace and are resting!! Monty and I will be praying for you guys! I know you, Ethan and Phil will be just fine in the palm of God's hands!

Morgan said...

wow! i didn't even realize you are due that soon! i am sorry to hear about your grandpa, i am glad you got to visit him. take it easy and rest up!! :)

Steph said...

1. Happy Anniversary! I was thinking of you that whole weekend, but I wasn't exactly sure what day your anniversary was on...that should be in my calendar, btw! :| I'm a loser!
2. Sorry to hear about your grandfather. Those are such hard questions. I'll be praying for him and your family.
3.UM! OMG! I cannot believe this emergency! I'm so glad both of you are ok!

Man...you've had quite a week. Well, stay in bed and read and watch movies and sleep and do lots of delightful things like that! :)
Love you!

Melissa said...

So glad to hear that you and Ethan are okay. Emergencies like those put everything into perspective. Big hugs and I'll be praying for y'all.

monique said...

What a week you've had! I'm so glad that you have to opportunity to get some rest now. Just soak it in and pamper yourself a bit. We all can't wait to meet Ethan!