Monday, December 10, 2007

I love my grandparents

My grandma is getting older. 82 to be exact. She has the best sense of humor and between she, my grandpa, and me, we end up laughing all day when we are together. I love spending time with them. My grandpa is 88 and as much as I want our baby to meet him, I know God's timing for him to come home is fast approaching. Until then, I look forward to laughing with him all the more.

When I'm over there I usually sit around, read the Houston Chronicle, clip coupons, and beg my grandma to cook for me. I grew up on her home cooking and refuse to let her stop, even though she will smile and say, "I'm old, I don't remember how to cook" and then after more prodding by me she will get in that kitchen and with a little help make the best meals I have ever tasted. And all of sudden she remembers how to cook. Sly.

My grandparents sense of humor continues to unfold. Like the other day I was telling them how much I love eggnog and my grandpa's first comment was matter-of-factly, "that will make you fat". Me and my grandma started laughing.

Later on my grandma asks how I am feeling. Fine I say, except I get nauseated when I take my prenatal vitamin. The baby isn't making me sick, it's the vitamins. She says, 'so don't take them. I never did and had healthy babies, and in my generation no one took them, in fact I didn't even know about them. Just eat right, take a regular vitamin, your baby will be fine.' (I have found much research since to back that up.)

See, they break everything down into such black and white. And they can. They've lived through it. While the media and "research" can cause our heads to explode I am constantly reminded of the simplicity of history. History always repeats itself. Is life really as complicated as I make it, or am I so consumed with doing everything just "right" that I lose sight of how simple life can be. ( I do take my prenatals by the way - but not every day as I have now relinquished the anxiety that I am practically scarring my baby if i don't take them.)

That is what I love most about my grandparents. They are so simple and honest. They remind me that retirement for them has meant, 'eating, watching tv, sleeping, and repeat'. They have taught me that taking life slower, not consuming so much, saving, saving, saving and enjoying your family - those are the things that matter. The older I get, I am seeing that to be true everyday.

2 comments:

Steph said...

Your grandparents sound like a hoot. I would love to meet them. :)
Like your new look.

Melissa said...

Yup, I think I stress myself out too much trying to do things the way "research" has dictated. Simple is good. :)