Thursday, March 29, 2007

Global Trafficking

Global Trafficking, specifically of women and children, is something I have had on my heart for many years. In college I researched it for one of my history classes. It is a deep, dark secret in our society. Houston is the number one port for the global trafficking of women in the United States. Yes, Houston. The question that has been haunting me most recently is, what am I going to do about it? Clearly, this is compassion towards His people cultivated in me by God, yet why do I continue to read about it, cry for the women and children every time a report comes on about it, and pray, yet have been inactive. I was reading James recently, when God gently reminded me again: faith without actions is dead. Do I believe God can use me here in Houston? Could he really give me my heart's desire to be a "missionary" but not in the overseas sense that I dream about, but here in Houston, with women from all over the world. My small group leader challenged us the other day to search deep within for how we can do our part in the world. Did God tell him to audibly say to me what God has been speaking to my heart for years? When I truly think about the dark side of life thriving in Houston, I get sad, quit worrying about my pathetic worries and become determined to act. Then, the couch looks comfy and a good mag or movie sounds good - and there I go. Content in my own little reality. I am writing this because I hope by putting it out there, some of my gals can ask me about it weeks from now and see if I have continued to ignore God's pressing on my heart or have actually had the courage to follow his leading in faith. If you don't know much about global trafficking, you can go here: http://www.prajwalaindia.org
and here: http://www.humantrafficking.org

No comments: