Me and nicknames do not get along. We never really have. I don't know how it happened. When I was young, I was always called Cynthia. Then, in high school someone had the bright idea of calling me Cindy and I was instantly repulsed. Plus, thankfully, I had a friend named Cindy (short for her name Cynthia) and was happy to inform everyone that Cindy was already taken by a classmate and I didn't want to be called the same thing. In college I was a little more relaxed. Some of my roommates started calling me Cynth and only a few very close friends ventured to call me Cyn. I actually quite liked that name. It was affectionate. But then, it does rhyme with the not so good word, sin - so after college, I was happy to let that nickname reside with a few close friends. Some still call me those names, and it is a fun reminder of our great times at Baylor. Since then, I kind of don't like nicknames. Even Phil doesn't call me one - it is usually Baby, Honey, Sweetie and sometimes we realize we have gone days without actually saying each other's real names! That makes us laugh and we start calling each other by our names, for oh an hour, and then we're back to our usual terms of endearment. But, back to nicknames. When Phil and I were first together I shared my nickname story and he shared he didn't like any of them and has called me Cynthia ever since.
Oh I get the occassional boss or colleague or friend who wants to cozy up quick and calls me Cindy, to which I most often non-tactifully reply, "It's Cynthia, not Cindy." I mean - really - how did I introduce myself? As Cynthia or Cindy? :)
But, the most interesting thing that has happened recently is the nickname my bosses have given me. I worked for Thomas Young, an evangelist and preacher, for a year and half and he nicknamed me CC - after my initials. Well, that was fine and didn't bother me too much. And now I work for the museum and my boss has, on his own mind you, started calling me CC and emailing me as such. Interesting. What to do? I can't seem to reply to the emails with - "No, it's Cynthia, get it right." But, its just my initials, so no big deal. Does that even qualify as a nickname?
So, are nicknames inevitable? Can I really stop the recurring wheel of nickname inception that comes my way? I guess if I had to choose one I could live with and even respond to I would go with Cynth. Its fun. Simple. Me.
Isn't it great that I have the time and freedom to ponder such deep thoughts? Maybe this CC should reply to my boss's email now.
4 comments:
I don't know why I can't help but respond to your blogs!! I don't do this with anyone else (I don't think...) Though I would agree that your not the nickname type and no nicknames really seem to fit you, I can tell you that "Cynthia" is sometimes a mouthful. 3 syllables. I kinda like CC, though it is better as more of a written nickname...
Ah...I love nicknames! When someone gives you a nickname I think they are trying to tell you that you have a special little place in their heart. You're not just any ol' Cynthia...you're CC. I like it! Although, because I love you, it'll just be Cynthia.
Miss you!
S
from the other Erin...
Well, you know that I'm a nick-namer at heart. Everyone I love gets a nickname. And I still can't fathom your objection to "Cynthie", which is perfectly cute, in my opinion! Ha!
I did have a friend in high school who called me E-double-C for my initials which were ECC. I liked it. Sometimes initials work. I also went through a phase in elementary school when I wanted to be called E. Catherine (first initial and middle name). It didn't take. So, for the most part, just plain Erin it is.
You know, this is a topic we don't discuss too often. But it should most certainly be discussed.
I'm very glad I never called you something weird for a nickname, now knowing your dislike for such things. I've always wanted a really cool nickname, but people call me Ash...and most people do, even if I don't know them too well (that's when it's a bit weird for me). Either way. Happy to know your name preference. So glad your blogging :)
*Ash (as I also to refer to myself to people I like ::grin:: )
PS-I like to sign emails "AM" which are my initials...i enjoy that.
Post a Comment