Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Big Brother

Ethan's going to be a big brother! I realized we have told people the great news, but didn't have a chance to tell the quick story that goes with it. We've gotten quite a few questions about whether this was a surprise. I feel like I should explain.

We have been praying and following the fostering route for a few months now. We applied and were turned down by CPS because we wanted one little one at a time, in the 0-3 years range. They are accepting only applicants for over age 8 and sibling groups. We were really upset, but then felt led to contact a private agency in town. They were happy to certify us for the younger ones, but did say it would be months before we had a placement. We were totally fine with that. We quickly filled out part of the application and then stopped. For weeks. I felt like God was saying wait. Wait for what, I didn't know. I'd see the application in my to-do pile and pray for our future foster baby, but still didn't feel God saying to go ahead. Then, the time came in the month when we could try for a little one and we thought - let's see if this is what God would have for us. Wham. Pregnant.

Now, imagine my shock. I think seriously I just got over it last week. It took us a year and a half to get pregnant with Ethan and we found out in that time there are medical reasons it is not easy for us, if not impossible, to conceive. Clearly God is not hindered by our issues.

In the picture, Ethan is wearing a shirt that says "Big Brother". When we went to Houston a few weeks ago, that is how we told everyone. My friend, Diana, shared her news that way at a picnic and I loved the idea. Our families were completely shocked!

We get to hear the heartbeat tomorrow. I am truly super excited!

6 comments:

cheryl said...

What an awesome, clear blessing from the LORD! ;o) We're so excited for y'all.

Marti said...

A blessing, indeed. He knows the plans for ALL of us. ;) So happy for your family!

Daryl & Diana said...

Love it! We love the shirt too. I had a feeling Ethan had a matching one. Orange is my favorite color on Lane!

casey said...

congratulations! God is amazing.

Morgan said...

I have to say, I was wondering about the story!! I am so excited for you! There is nothing our God can not do! (sorry for the rhyme!)

Steph said...

so happy for you guys! such wonderful news!!!
love you guys!!