This morning...Phil: I really could use some more SmartWool socks. It is so cold outside and my socks are not thick enough. (about the fifth time he's told me that in the last 2 weeks)
Me: Yeah, those would be good. Well, maybe you'll get some for Christmas. Let's wait and see.
Phil: Why do I have to wait for Christmas? When you want something you just go out and get it. Why do I have to wait. I need them and I've been saying that for a few weeks now.
Me: Ok, well I'm just saying let's just wait until Christmas.
Later on that day....
Phil: (through IM) I found these SmartWool on sale at Sierra Trading Post. Great deal, huh?
Me: Yeah, that is a great price. {silence}
I could tell Phil was getting perturbed. I could tell through the silence he wanted me to say, "Wow honey, that's a steal, let's get 'em!".
Well, knowing my husband there was a slight chance he would order them himself, so I had to say:
Me: Honey, you ruined it! How am I supposed to surprise you if you hound me? All I'm saying is LET'S WAIT AND SEE IF YOU GET THEM FOR CHRISTMAS. Get it?
Yeah, he got it then. Surprise, thwarted. Better luck next year.
7 comments:
Ahh!!! I hate ruining surprises. However in my defense, who can't just go out and buy a pair of socks if they need them? All I kept thinking was "This is abnormally restrictive."
THats great! Phil- aren't socks always part of christmas??? Braden needs bigger socks and I am actually thinking about waiting until christmas to give them to him... Now thats crazy a 5 months old doesn't know the difference but needs the socks now, what was I thinking? Thanks for sharing your spousal communications with everyone. Sounds like our monthly date nights will be much needed... =)
Haha! Laughing with you. We can never seem to have very many Christmas surprises w/ each other either. I guess we're too practical, or maybe just really frugal. We don't usually have very many things on our wish lists, because all the things we need are big house projects. ;o)
Ha! I love it. This EXACT exchange happened between me and Mike a few weeks ago, not over socks but a Christmas gift he couldn't comprehend waiting until Christmas to get. And I finally had to tell him to stop ruining my surprise! I'm so glad to know there are others out there with good intentions of surprising their husbands and husbands who just cant wait!
that's funny! Jason did the same thing too a couple of days ago! he wanted "The Dark Knight" and i told my dad to get it for him. jason comes home, so excited because he bought the movie. i told him he shouldn't be buying things before christmas!!! he didn't understand at first... now we are just giving his purchase away as a gift, since he is getting it.
I'd like to note - how all the GUYS are ruining the surprises in these comments....Just an observation. :)
no friend you are not alone. There is no such thing as a surprise in this house! Bobby always always figures out what he's getting and it always always makes me mad. Its his prize really to ruin it for me :) And the kids tend to "unintentionally" tell him secrets. But I still love him.
He had but one suprise for me this year and it was graciously unwrapped early by our precious foster son.
No surprises for anyone.
Post a Comment