Sunday, December 7, 2008

It's ours

We moved in the week before Thanksgiving! We weren't really going to move our stuff until the day after Thanksgiving, but with my family here eager to help and some wonderful friends of Phil's able to move on Saturday and Sunday, we got everything in our garage by Monday. Whew! Painting is underway, boxes being unpacked, and the sickening realization that we own way too much stuff! God's been having some serious talks with me. All the money I wasted on things that don't satisfy.

I'm really trying to pair down in this house. I've considered having a Free Sale, instead of a Garage Sale. Everything is come and take it. I figure it saves me the time of loading it all up and donating it. Plus, it might just shock some people and if they ask why I am crazy enough to give tons of stuff away, I'll have the chance to tell them Jesus made me do it.

Now, I thought about having a Garage Sale and giving the money to charity or to our church. But, I'm gonna be honest. I'm a sinner. I know my sin pattern. I would say I would do it, keep the money, and end up buying something from Pottery Barn claiming it is, well, sort of like using it for ministry because I have people over and we talk about Jesus. That counts right?

Free Sale it is. I'm serious. I think I'm really going to do this thing. January probably, December is way too crazy.

8 comments:

Morgan said...

Wow! Congrats! I was just gonna email you to get your new address.

The Wilcoxson's said...

well let me know when because i might need some of your FREE stuff. I am glad that you are in your new house.

casey said...

oh my--free sale--genious idea!! i have been wanting to do a garage sale, but the whole idea of organizing, lugging it out, setting it up.. blah. but i like your concept of a free sale! let us know how it goes! and congrats on the house.

Anonymous said...

Should be incentive enough for you Sugar Landers to make a trip up to Austin for a visit and free stuff. :) It's like Round Top minus the expense and antiquity.

Karen said...

That is so exciting!! Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures of your new place!

Steph said...

Yes...I, myself, am considering a free sale. Although, i have to admit...it's gonna sting a little, but I guess that means I need to do it all the more. :)

Can't wait to see your house!

Anonymous said...

I like how Phil is trying to lure us with his mention of Round Top. :)

HornFamily said...

I like your train of thinking...