Friday, August 3, 2007

Class of 1997

I did it. I went to my ten year high school reunion.

The big event was last Saturday night. When I first learned of the planning, I wanted to be a part of it. I love organizing things, and I thought it would be a great way to reconnect with old friends. Well, I did reconnect and um, yeah, glad I didn't end up helping with the planning. We are all different, yet the same, if you know what I mean.

So, we paid the exorbitantly high ticket cost and went. I was kind of nervous about it, but really I was intrigued to see how I would feel around all those people. If you don't know my testimony, my high school days included to a large extent drinking, drugs, and partying while somehow securing the 33rd rank in my high school class. (Not sure how I pulled that one off.) So, the Cynthia those people remember was transformed a long time ago. But the insecure, low-self-esteem Cynthia resurfaced a bit with the thought of high school memories.

Upon entering, a huge smile came across my face. I can't exactly explain it. I was just so enamored with all God has done for and through me since high school. I realized I am a completely different person. Inside and out. (OK - I guess technically not outside, considering the comment of the night was, "Wow, you look the exact same!". Um, thanks.)

I saw some friends I knew, talked to a few, but otherwise Phil and I just sat there, talked, laughed, and, our favorite thing to do, people watch and make up stories about what is happening. (Can you tell we were both into drama in high school?!)

God had such a sense of humor that night too. We chose to sit at a table with a single girl sitting there (I don't remember her from high school), but I felt compelled to help her enjoy her 10 yr. reunion. So, we sat and started chatting. I actually just struck up a conversation, as if I am a true social butterfly - if she only knew.

Then, it slowly dawned on Phil and I. There was this HUGE spotlight above us and our two seats were illuminated with a bright glow from above. The rest of the room was dimly lit, but nope, not us. We were on stage, so it felt, for the world to see. So much about being wall flowers and just enjoying the show. And yet, it made me smile more. I felt like God was whispering to me, "Don't be ashamed or afraid. You're shining for me." And to everyone else, "THIS is a life redeemed."

It was self-actualizing for me. I sat there, completely unaffected by all the people I allowed to control my emotions when I was in high school. All the people I "looked up" to. Tried to impress. And now, I was beaming because I love who I am, who God has made me to be, the amazing husband I am honored to have. Realizing even more how the life I left behind was so worthless and meaningless. An empty pursuit.

Praise God for his faithfulness to me. I love being a life redeemed.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Beautiful!

Melissa said...

I'd never heard your testimony before, it really is beautiful.