Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A New Season

Phil and I are embarking on a new season in our walk together with the Lord. For the past year or so, we have wrestled with the thought of serving God somewhere other than Crossbridge. The last few months God has spoken to both of our hearts - it is our time to move onto our next mission field. This has been a very hard decision for both of us to come to terms with. We know we are all the Church, no matter what building we go to on Sunday. It is our turn to live out that belief as a couple.

We cherish our friendships and know that they will extend beyond the four walls of a church. We will do all we can to continue to cultivate those relationships, while establishing new ones where God is leading us. That's the funny and scary part, we have no idea where we are going to go. God hasn't revealed that part of his plan to us.

With our Europe trip scheduled, we will be taking the Sundays in August off to refresh our hearts and spirits and spend devoted time praying for our next church home. Our trip has now taken on a new meaning for us. It is officially marking the beginning of a new season in our lives.

Here are some thoughts I have had recently:

1) Why is it easier (and more accepted) to talk about becoming a missionary in some foreign country rather than in your own hometown?

2) How can we help people understand that no one did anything wrong and nothing happened to propel us to move on - that it is simply God's leading?

3) How do I adequately express sadness and excitement at the same time without hurting anyone's feelings?

There are so many more - but I can't adequately express them in words. We covet your prayers during this time. God is giving us some big ideas and big plans and we are asking ourselves if we are up to the challenge. Quite frankly, the answer right now is "no". I'd rather everything stay easy, expected, predictable. Nothing that will take me too far out of my comfort zone or ask me to sacrifice any luxury.

But then I wouldn't be imitating Christ, now would I.

2 comments:

Jen said...

hey you are welcome to join Bobby and I as we take on inner city Houston. Bobby's now the pastor there....which is a crazy transition. We'd love to have you guys out!

Melissa said...

Cynthia, I just found your blog today and I love how open and vulnerable you are. I pray that God would show you and Phil where He needs you to be and when. It can be very hard to leave what you know, but I'm so glad that y'all are willing!