I love to read. Anything really - except Fiction. The only fiction I have fallen for is the Shopaholic series. It is a British fiction series, and quite hilarious! I picked the first book up for our plane ride to London last year and have enjoyed every one. If you like fashion and can laugh about women's desire to have the best and look the prettiest while making financial mistakes along the way - you can totally get into these books.I also get three magazines monthly and usually read through them all by mid month and start pining until the next issues arrive. Currently, I am making my own organizing system for all the great articles, tips, and recipes that come my way through them. Such useful information and I don't want any of it to go to waste!
In honor of our trip to Amsterdam, I decided to re-pick up Corrie Ten Boom's book, The Hiding Place. I had tried to read this book before, but I guess I wasn't ready. I just finished it last night - with tears filling my eyes. This is a beautiful story of God's faithfulness and his deep and passionate love for his children. What a sovereign God we serve and yet I daily wonder if he truly sees me. Of course he does! This book was such a sweet reminder of his all-knowing, all-loving character.

I have always been interested in the history of the Holocaust. The helplessness of the poor victims, the cruelty of the Nazis, the heroic people who sacrificed everything to follow God's heart to save - it all seems too surreal. After college, I explored the option of getting my masters in Holocaust Studies. With only one program at the time offered in Massachusetts, my passion turned inward and becomes enlivened when I read stories like this.
While in Amsterdam we will be visiting Corrie Ten Boom's house in Haarlem. I already feel God calling me to stand in front of that building and pray prayers of thankfulness and awe.
If you haven't read this book - can I ask you to consider it? I wonder how anyone can read this book and not be changed. My heart is pounding with compassion for God's children, then and now, as I think about it.
2 comments:
The Hiding Place is by far one of my favorite books, ever. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It's incredibly powerful. I may just start reading it, again!
I knew you could get into the Hiding Place! and I might just pick up the Shopaholic series on your recommendation, since (like you) it's rare that I like any fiction at all.
Post a Comment