Friday, December 18, 2009

Keeping him occupied

Recently I sent out a request to some friends asking for their advice on resources so I can 'teach' Ethan things throughout the day. It's one thing to rely on age appropriate toys, go on walks, play at the park, etc., but the teacher in me wanted some little lesson plans, something challenging for him. And, the monotony of staying at home was getting to me. I'm grateful a friend recommended this amazing book!

It provides one age appropriate activity each week of a child's life from birth to 5. I picked up my copy from the library and immediately turned to the one year old section. I purposely chose a week easier than his level, just to see how he would respond, and he loved it! It involved putting a line of painters' tape on the floor and pretending to 'walk the line' and not fall in the water. Great imaginative play and he quickly picked up the concept and ran back and forth on that line for days.

The next activity we tried was teaching him to put lids on things. You can see, it was a wonderful, keep-him-occupied-while-mommy-cooked activity. He was smitten with the sour cream container in the end.

Just a few days ago I introduced an activity where I cut a slit in the lid of said sour cream container and he had to insert keys into it (well, any objects that would fit and keys were on hand.) He begs to play with "keeee". I'm really digging this book and wish I would have known about it a long time ago.

Hope this book blesses someone else out there!

4 comments:

Erin said...

looks like a fun book! might have to check it out myself.

another resource I've enjoyed (used last summer some when kids weren't in MDO, and plan to again) is this site:
http://www.letteroftheweek.com/nursery_age_1.html

you'd just have to hide the web design from Phillip. He'd be horrified. ;-)

Coffman Family said...

That is a great site! Thank you for sharing!!

Carters said...

Funny...I have used this book since Ella was born. I wish I had know you were looking for something...I would have totally recommended it earlier. We have really loved it. I have been bad this past half year and have not used it, but hoping to get back into it in the New Year.

Steph said...

yeah...i've heard great things about this book. i keep meaning to get it!